The Franklin (MA) School Committee met on Tuesday, July 25, 2023 as scheduled and completed business without student updates (school vacation) or any presentations (summer time) with a brief Executive Session and the total was within an hour. A rare but worthy accomplishment.
- Getting ready to report on the School Committee meeting at 7 PM follow along with the agenda #schcom0726 https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/agendas/scagenda_7-25-23.pdf
- Chair Spencer opens meeting, gets right to the Supt Giguere report on the activity this summer. Administrator pretreat the day after school ended to close and reflect on the past school year. #schcom0725 retreat next week, 3 days, asst and principals together
- Planning and strategic planning key topic, to be held at Dean College; MSAA executive institute for Lucas, Paula & Tina at the Cape recently, how to move from striving to thriving, budget development also a key topic #schcom0725
- Elementary literacy materials arrived, being distributed to the schools, 30 openings currently but a moving # as candidates are in process, HS experience, new teacher orientation, professional development before schools starts, report and dates coming in writing
- Clarification q, 2 asst principals open at this time. No presentations, now discussion action items
- Space Needs & Facilities Assessment Sub Committee - I recommend that the School Committee dissolve the Space Needs & Facilities Assessment Sub Committee as detailed motion to approve, second, passes 7-0
- School Facilities Master Planning Subcommittee - I recommend that the School Committee establish a School Facilities Master Planning Subcommittee as detailed motion to approve, second, Amended to be Comprehensive School Facility Planning Subcmte, passes 7-0; Second vote to pass formation of committee as amended, passes 7-0
- Off-site/retreat working on an overall calendar for meetings and subcommittee meetings to make them as predictable as possible, likely ready in a couple of weeks #schcom0725
- Consent agenda recommended to be approved, moved, second, passes 7-0
- Order for Committee comments, Callaghan advises participating in Joint Budget Subcmte meeting Aug 2
- Motion to executive session, to return to open meeting, second, passes 7-0 via roll call We will hang out for this one, not supposed to be a long session. Stay tuned!
- Ok, about to return to open session
- Called back to order, motion to adjourn, via roll call passes 7-0 That's all for tonight catch you next time!
Total time for recording about 50 minutes (excludes the Executive Session)
School Committee page -> https://www.franklinps.net/district/school-committee
The agenda for this meeting can be found
The Packet folder contains the documents released for this meeting.
My notes captured via Twitter can also be downloaded in one PDF ->
Franklin TV video replay -> https://www.youtube.com/live/C-AM9cmYqSU
We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm) or 102.9 on the Franklin area radio dial.
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"