This session of the radio show shares the regular School Committee meeting held Tuesday, April 12, 2022.
This was the first meeting using the new order of business format; the most notable item was the movement of the citizen comments section to the end of the meeting.
- Updated school budget, minor internal adjustments, no change to bottom line. With Health cost savings expected vs what had been the placeholder, they can re-allocate $100K to fund the hiring of an asst principal and Keller.
- Committee voted to approve the budget; next steps are one of the budget hearing nights with Finance Committee during week of 5/9-12, followed by Town Council budget hearings May 25-26
- School choice once again voted not to enable, proposal has history of this going back to 2003 for those interested. Has some benefits in that it can provide incremental income where student capacity is available. However, once opening the door, the student is committed to for the full K-12 slot. Could be considered as part of the overall work on building and capacity planning
- Revised school calendar approved, this adds 3 half days to last years 11, now a total of 14; some added were specifically so on Weds to allow for team planning/collaboration within schools on their meeting days
- Committee approved renaming Columbus Day as Indigionous Peoples day. Not to take away from the study underway on consideration of other holidays, this is renaming an existing one.
The meeting opened at 7:01 PM and ran approx. 70 minutes.
My notes ->
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"