FM #883 - Town Council Mtg - 11/16/22
This session of the radio show shares the Town Council meeting held in Council Chambers on Wednesday, October 16, 2022. 7 members of the Council were present in the Council Chambers, one member remote (Frongillo) and one member absent (Dellorco), hence all votes were via roll call.
Quick summary of meeting:
- The meeting opened with recognition of Becki Carloni of the Franklin Fire Department for her off duty life saving effort at a sporting event.
- The appointment of Alison Wallace to the Library Board of Directors was approved.
- The Special License to allow sale of wine at 2022-2023 Franklin Winter Farmers’ Market by La Cantina Winery Company was approved. The first market is this Saturday from 10 AM to 2 PM.
- Ryan Jette, Director of Recreation provided an update on the operation of the Recreation Department including near term plans and future plans.
- There was also a discussion on the approach to determine the reuse of Davis Thayer. Consensus was to set up a Reuse Committee of town folks interested in this building and location to make a proposal to the Council for approval. Details on the volunteer application process will be forthcoming and the process will kick off sometime in 2023.
- Legislation to approve of an increase to the minimum wage for both the senior citizen and veterans tax work off programs was approved.
- Legislation to adjust the budget with some transfers and final numbers of state aid, etc. was approved. This had been previewed by the Finance Committee in their meeting last week and unanimously recommended. This adjustment step was needed before the tax rate is set. The hearing for the tax rate is scheduled for the Nov 30 Town Council meeting.
- The Franklin Open Space and Recreation Plan Kickoff Process has begun. The Conservation Commission will lead this effort to update the plan.
The recording runs just about 2 hours and 18 minutes, so let’s listen to the Town Council meeting on October 16, 2022.
The agenda and documents released for this session can be found https://www.franklinma.gov/sites/g/files/vyhlif6896/f/agendas/november_16_town_council_agenda.pdf
The Franklin TV video replay of the meeting is available on YouTube https://youtu.be/v_88xT1K7mU
My notes captured via Twitter during the meeting can be found in one PDF document -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kcsiah2iONeLXjpPRlc9dOSEKNKpx8AQ/view?usp=share_link
We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm) or 102.9 on the Franklin area radio dial.
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
For additional information, please visit Franklinmatters.org/ or www.franklin.news/
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"