This session of the radio show shares the Franklin Public Schools Redistricting Advisory Committee Meeting held in hybrid format with folks at the FHS Media Center on Tuesday, January 17, 2023 as well as some members who participated remotely.
Given this was a working session, the major whole group sections of the meeting audio is what is shared here. There is one break in the audio when
- The breakout discussion was held at each table
The break is indicated by about 4 seconds of music (replacing about 25 minutes of table discussion) then the group discussion resumes. I had anticipated a readout from each table (similar to what was done in previous meetings. That was not the case tonight.) The group discussion resumed with next steps, an additional meeting announced (some confusion around which date) but confirmation the slides, agenda, etc would be sent to the committee members with the survey form for their feedback.
- 4 scenarios were presented based upon the building blocks from prior session. A fifth was acknowledged as not an option, albeit disputed by at least one member of the committee (closing another school).
- Additional scenarios were presented as the realizations occurred on what was happening in each of the scenarios. Those raising such scenarios were advised to write it up for the feedback, in the survey to be sent to the Committee.
- The next session will cover these scenarios with demographic projections and the additional scenarios raised (2 middle schools, moving 5th grade to join 608 grades)
- As there was no readout from each of the table discussions it was hard to tell what the sense of the scenarios was. Stay tuned for the next meeting; either Feb 2 or Feb 7 was mentioned, whichever it is will be confirmed.
The edited meeting audio recording runs about 57 minutes. Let’s listen to whole group discussion position of Redistricting Advisory Committee Meeting
Jan 17, 2023 agenda->
Redistricting Advisory Committee page ->
My notes in one Twitter threader document
The photo album shared via Twitter of the pix taken of the meeting and presentation slides https://photos.app.goo.gl/dz7Un9eCmvqokEYy6
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"