FM #924 - Town of Franklin (MA) School Cmte Mtg - 01/24/23
This session shares the Franklin, MA School Committee meeting held on Tuesday, January 24, 2023. The meeting was conducted in the Council Chambers with six members present and one member (M Whitmore) remote. Hence all votes were via roll call.
School Committee Chair Denise Spencer opens the meeting at 7:00 PM.
Key items on the agenda
- Update from Supt Giguere on the Inclement Weather Policy, now that we have had some weather to deal with, a reminder on the process, how it is coordinated with DPW, Police and Fire. Additional details posted on FPS page (see link below)
- FHS Program of Studies - Principal Josh Hanna presented an update on the program highlighting some changes to add courses, and answered questions from the School Committee. He acknowledged as he began that this was the results of a whole team of effort, many of whom were out and about tonight with student activities. The PDF of my notes captures screen presentation pages. The presentation doc should get posted soon to the meeting folder so you can find additional details
- Accept Collaborative presentation - E Stokes recused herself from this portion of the meeting to avoid a conflict of interest. The presentation provided an overview of the services and work among the collaborative to support the needs of the students in the district. This was all in advance of a discussion and vote by the Committee to approve the application of Westborough into the Collaborative (each member needs to do so, it was mentioned this is the first of a few). The Committee voted unanimously (6-0-1; 6 for, 0 no, 1 - recuse)
- Proposed school committee meeting calendar and Accept Collaborative report were among the items for discussion only
- The Committee did enter Executive Session not to return to open meeting
The show notes contain a link to the full agenda and to my notes & photos captured via Twitter during the meeting.
The recording runs about 1 hour and 40 minutes, so let’s listen to the Franklin School Committee on January 24, 2023.
School Committee page -> https://www.franklinps.net/district/school-committee
Inclement weather page -> https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/uploads/weather_2022_2.pdf
Video link -> https://youtu.be/6f53S5iyXpU
The agenda doc contains info on remote participation -> https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/uploads/scagenda_1-24-23.pdf
All the documents released for this meeting (some after the meeting) can be found in one folder -> https://www.franklinps.net/district/school-committee/pages/january-24-2023-school-committee-meeting-packet
My Twitter notes are here in one PDF file -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pWMoZmkmt2nkhBczlP0QYMBbBVPrew5d/view?usp=share_link
We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm) or 102.9 on the Franklin area radio dial.
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
For additional information, please visit Franklinmatters.org/
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"