This session shares the Franklin, MA School Committee Budget SubCommittee meeting held on Wednesday, Mar 1, 2023. The meeting was conducted in the 3rd floor training room. Remote participation was enabled for this session.
Chair Dave McNeill opened the meeting. School Committee member Dave Callaghan was present, member M Whitmore was absent. Superintendent Lucas Giguere, Business Manager Miriam Goodman, Asst Supt Paula Morano and Asst Supt Dr. Tina Rogers (remote) also participated.
- After opening comments by Supt Giguere, Business Manager Miriam Goodman lead the way beginning with Chap 70, touching on ARPA and ESSER funds which expire soon and are pretty much fully encumbered at this point
- Asking for an increase of $2.8M over last year which given an expected increase in TOwn revenue of approx $3.2, they would NOT get all of the 2.8. How to cover for that difference remains to be seen as the use of revolving fund is maxed out
- As Gov Healey released her first budget earlier in the day, what they may contain is not yet reflected in this view
- The Joint Budget Subcommittee meeting scheduled for Mar 8 should provide some insights on what the Franklin allocation may be. The full school budget is expected to be presented for discussion at the March 14 School Committee meeting. Budget would be finalized in a vote in April, reviewed by Finance Committee in their May hearings and the Town Council later in May
The show notes contain a link to the agenda and to my notes.
The recording runs about 47 minutes, so let’s listen to the Budget SubCommittee meeting of Mar 1, 2023.
Budget SubCommittee agenda
My notes in this ThreadReader PDF ->
We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm) or 102.9 on the Franklin area radio dial.
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"