This session of the radio show shares the School Committee - Space Needs Subcommittee meeting held hybrid, some in the 3rd floor conference room on Monday, Mar 27, 2023, other virtual via Zoom webinar. (P-present, R-remote)
SubCmte Chair - Al Charles (R); committee members - Denise Spencer (P), Elise Stokes (R); Central office support - Supt Lucas Giguere (P), Business Manager Miriam Goodman (P) Recording by Sherlock (R)
Brief recap: (caution, albeit brief I believe I have the gist of the discussion - the audio is available to listen to all the nuances and final options)
- Received an update from Supt Giguere on status with KBA
- Group listened, discussed each individual's preference for their recommendation, two were somewhat close, then as discussion ensued, and clarifications arose things seemed to change on who was where; fortunately as time permitted, they did clarify an option, then a second, and an ‘amendment’ to that one, ultimately it came to two options for vote as recommendation
- First, buffer for Sep 2023, expanded to including incoming K students, redistricting per storymap in 2024
- Second, same as first but allow DT families to choose where they would go beyond 2024
- Vote was 2-1 in favor of the first option
- Consider the recommendation to be redistricting for 2024 with an option for those in the ‘buffer’ per the storymap, to opt to move early to where they would end up. For example, a DT student now at Keller but would per redistricting would go to Oak/Horace Mann, could choose to go early (2023) rather than wait until 2024
The current schedule calls for a presentation/recommendation at the April 25 meeting with a School Committee vote at their May 9 meeting.
My notes for the meeting => https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jgXOBBOiLb36JIyvv4-bV8nAd1t4CSP_/view?usp=share_link
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"