This session of the radio show shares the audio recording of the housing and zoning discussion with Brad Chafee, Melanie Hamblen, and Cobi Frongillo. We were joined by Town Administrator Jamie Hellen and Town Council Chair Tom Mercer for this discussion on new growth. Most of us were in the Franklin TV Studio on Monday, June 5, 2023. Tom joined us via the Zoom conference bridge.
Consider this a continuation of the downtown zoning discussion from the “Franklin For All” project which is underway with review and discussion at the Economic Development Subcommittee Plus meetings that Melanie Chairs and for which Cobi is Vice-Chair.
The conversation centered on new growth and how the zoning decisions have a relationship with the budget.
The recording of our conversation on zoning runs about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let’s listen in.
The collection of Franklin For All zoning discussions can be found here ->
The value-per-acre visual that Cobi mentioned
The "Growth Ponzi Scheme" Cobi mentioned
Town Budget page for FY 2024 -> https://www.franklinma.gov/town-budget/webforms/fy-24-budget-materials
Town Council budget hearings for FY 2024
- May 24 & 25 (budget hearings) - recap & audio links -> https://www.franklinmatters.org/2023/05/audio-recordings-for-1st-of-2-budget.html https://www.franklinmatters.org/2023/05/town-council-approves-fy-24-budget_01384873643.html
- recap & video links -> https://www.franklinmatters.org/2023/05/town-council-approves-fy-24-budget.html
Finance Committee budget hearings for FY 2024
- May 11 - (FY 2024 budget hearing) public safety (police, fire, dispatch) -> https://www.franklinmatters.org/2023/05/finance-cmte-completes-fy-2024-budget.html
- May 10 - (FY 2024 budget hearing) schools (FPS, Tri-County, Norfolk Aggie) recap, audio & video links -> https://www.franklinmatters.org/2023/05/finance-committee-budget-hearing-2-gets.html
- May 8 - (FY 2024 budget hearing) general government and DPW (enterprise accounts (sewer, water, solid waste & stormwater) - recap, audio & video links -> https://www.franklinmatters.org/2023/05/fincom-gets-fy-2024-summary-from-town.html
The “must listen’ intro as mentioned with the 30 minute overview of the revenue projections https://www.franklinmatters.org/2023/05/franklinites-spend-few-minutes-with.html
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"