The Franklin (MA) School Committee met on Tuesday, August 22, 2023 as scheduled. Six members were present (1 absent - Whitmore).
- Several updates, including personnel hiring status, were provided by Superintendent Lucas Giguere
- In the first of 2 Discussion/Actions items, the 2023-24 Student & Family Handbook Approval was received. Among the elementary and middle school changes most were housekeeping, minor corrections, updates to names and roles, etc. Most of the principals were available either in person or via Zoom for questions.
- FHS Principal Josh Hanna spent some time on the updates to the high school handbook to address the Credit Attendance policy, Updated Cell Phone / Electronic Device policy, Updated Academic Dishonesty (Artificial Dishonesty), and Clarity around Bathroom Use policy
- Principal Hanna and Supt Giguere also spent time explaining the rationale behind the graduation date change. It had initial been set as the "first Friday in June" as that was the standard, then as they looked at the calendar and how the weeks and other school events (MCAS among them) fell, it made sense to change it. The Committee approved
Let’s listen to the School Committee meeting of August 22.
The total meeting audio runs about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
School Committee page -> https://www.franklinps.net/district/school-committee
The agenda doc
The packet folder can be found ->
https://www.franklinps.net/district/meeting-packets/pages/august-22-2023-school-committee-meeting-packet (Note some docs are scheduled to be updated after the meeting)
YouTube link -> https://www.youtube.com/live/OKz4ioRKmxM
My notes can be found in one PDF file -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VFNh0WlWJbVT4gRJwod5ULotPRs-nhbV/view?usp=drive_link
We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm) or 102.9 on the Franklin area radio dial.
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
For additional information, please visit franklin.news/ or Franklinmatters.org/
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"